Friday 7 June 2013

Feeling a bit like Hitler.......!


                              

So today has started off with my blood pressure rising already!

Last night the kids went to bed minus a story because each of them was being what I consider to be naughty in their own individual way! It is the nightmare of parenting - deciding how extreme your parenting is going to be! 

I know that in my previous life (with ex) things would go one of two ways: Option 1 - He would undermine my discipline of Honey Bee, Option 2 - He would let rip and Honey Bee (and me probably) would be a quivering wreck! 

Fortunately for Sweet Pea and Missy Moo who were only 17months and 2.5months when we left him, they haven't been brought up around that. Needless to say, one of the challenges of single parenting or any parenting is how to discipline your child and as a single parent, you obviously do not have that second parent to support and back up your strategy! So what happens? Either you let your child walk all over you and grow up not having any respect for you (sometimes I question whether Honey Bee has an element of this make up because of 5 years of our previous life). Or you become a mini 'Hitler' and feel like you spend a lot of your time being a grumpy, moany dictator! 

It isn't too bad in our house - I think?! There are times when I think I am more more grumpy than usual but then I do have a 7 year old, 3 year old and 2 year old, all girls, all testing the boundaries!! It can be challenging at times when the 2 year old keeps saying 'no' to me! How do you deal with this? 

There are plenty of parenting text books out there but no book can tell you how to deal with individual personalities! Every child and their behaviour are unique. Sometimes it is easy to take a breath, keep calm and wait for the moment to pass.........then treat yourself to a glass of wine later!!

8 comments:

  1. Just popping over from the blog hop - I assume you that being grumpy happens to us all! I feel I have been doing this alot this week as well, so its comforting to know I am not the only one. My kids are 7 and 6, and we are going through lots of bickering at the moment. NOt sure when that will end either...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I mean assure you, sorry - dozy me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the reassurance! Glad I'm not the only one either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you are doing great!
    You have the right idea...take a breath, keep calm and wait for the moment to pass.........then treat yourself to a glass of wine later...That's how I handle my two....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Popping over from the Weekend Blog Hop to say hi :)
    Sounds like you are doing a fab job, you are entitled to be grumpy sometimes. I have 4 girls myself who are 7, 5, 3 and 10 months old and there are days where they really like to test me.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel more and more like 'Hitler' nowadays so you are not alone! Cameron has hit the terrible 3's and is really bad at night time going to sleep. Gotten to the point I have to shout at him to stop screaming the place down at night, I absolutely hate shouting at him.

    But you are doing a fabulous job hun and don't let anyone else tell you different.

    Thank you for linking up with The Weekend Blog Hop

    Hope to see you again next weekend

    Laura x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mamamummymum and Laura! Thanks for taking a look and commenting. I am a newbie to blogging and got some tweaking to do but so little time! Like the weekend Blog Hop idea though so will check it out again next weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete